Saturday 9 March 2013

Mixing chalk paint- it's so easy!

When deciding what color to paint this little bookshelf, I needed to think about where I wanted it. I don't know why I keep putting all the new pieces in the living room.

             
But I think I that's where it belongs right now! I didn't want to use all green as it might be too much and frankly I was getting a bit restless with just using the old white even though it was tempting to make it the same color as the little round table. I guess I'm just am not very consistent. but I am not that adventurous either so I decided to mix the old white with the Olive to reach a compromise in my mind. Why not, right?

So, I started with more white than green. Here is what it looks like after the first "slap-on". Although I'm sure with an original color that is lighter, I wouldn't need two coats but with the dark color underneath, one coat really isn't enough.
              

Then from an inspiration in the Annie Sloan's book entitled: " Annie Sloan Quick and Easy Paint Transformations, I wanted to try highlighting the trims in a darker color. So I dipped one side of the brush in the Olive and went heavy with it on the trims.
I knew in the back of mind that some dark wax would look great on the trims too. Once the paint was dry, I brushed on a coat of clear wax and just went around the trims with some dark wax and then some more clear wax to mix it all in. I put it on where I just felt like it would look good and made sure to put some on the drawer handle (I painted over the original handle). 

So here are a couple of snapshots of the finished bookshelf! I was really proud of it and more importantly, it matched my decor after all! Yay!

Lesson? Old White is super versatile and I will not hesitate to mix it with other ASCP colors! I really love the flexibility...and I'm loving how I'm getting so much mileage out of the ONE can of paint. All smiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment